Translate

Monday, August 28, 2017

HBC Inspired


Hello all!

Here in Canada there is a store that has its roots in the formation of our country.  It's called Hudson's Bay, formerly Hudson's Bay Company (HBC).  Back in the days of the settlement of Canada, this company representing England traded furs for products like knives, guns and many other things including blankets!  These were made of wool and had a signature look to them. Details on this blanket can be found at http://www2.hbc.com/hbcheritage/history/blanket/



It is a beautiful blanket, but neither my husband or I can stand wool.  Bit allergic, actually.  So when I saw blankets that were crocheted in the same pattern, I thought it would be a perfect project to do in the evenings while watching TV!

Because it's pretty straight forward, I just created my own pattern as I went.  Using information I found from the 2010 Crochet World magazine article by Michele Maks and also an artist on Ravelry by the name of Anteateralice, I compiled my supplies.
Hudson_bay_baby_300_small2

3x 14oz balls  Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Aran (off white)
1x 7oz ball each of the same type yarn in Black, Gold, Cherry Red and Paddy Green.

I made the blanket 143 single stitches wide.
and did the following rows:
12 rows White
8 rows black
8 rows white
8 rows gold
8 rows white
8 rows red
8 rows white
8 rows green
100 rows white  (you'll need to start a second ball here)
8 rows green
8 rows white
8 rows red
8 rows white
8 rows gold
8 rows white
8 rows black
12 rows white ( the 3rd ball will be started here)


The blanket was completed in about a month of evening sessions.  I sent it off to my friend in Alberta and she will be donating it to a cancer hospital that she is receiving treatments in right now.  Hugs Alanna!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! As soon as I see it, your comment will be published. Hugs!

St. Patrick's Day and International Quilting Day!

 Woohoo! Time for some green Quilts! LOL! Not often that these two days land on the same weekend. I finally finished one of my UFOs (unfinis...